B-22 Interview of the Week - Hello Tyler

1. What is your occupation?
PCV Isperih, Bulgaria. More specifically, at Business Center Isperih. Mostly I clean up English, look for projects outside of work (fairly unsuccessfully) and coach a baseball team (when the kids decided to show up).
2. What is the color of your socks now? It's funny you should ask as this morning I was struggling to find two that matched, and fellow PCV Shaun Wood was 'na gosti" and he asked, "What does it matter?" So I am wearing one gray on my left foot and one black on my right.
3. What are you listening to right now? The song I am listening to is called "You're English is Good" by the band Tokyo Police Club. Released in 2007
4.a What are you smelling right now? Not a whole lot. I am a bit sick and my nose is stuffy.
4.b What was the last thing you ate? Soletti (Pretzels)
5. Can you drive a stick shift? In a pinch but I am not too great at it. In fact I didn't really drive too much the last year or so I lived in America and now since I have been here I am forbidden to drive at all I am not even sure if I will remember how to drive an automatic after 27 months.
6. If you were a crayon, what color would you be?
7. Last person you spoke to on the phone? My Bulgarian friend Jefer about when we were going to meet at the Hard Rock Cafe (not official) here in Isperih last night.
8. Beatles or Rolling Stones? Beatles, but thanks for making me pick it is pretty hard. I think the Beatles put together great albums and the Stones had great singles, perhaps more great singles, but great albums touch me more. I personally get more out of them. So that is why.
9.a How old are you today? 23 but in exactly one month (as of 17.5.08) I will be 24.
9.b Does that thrill or frighten you? Both at the same time. I think it hinders this job a bit. People do not take me seriously because I am "just a boy", but to know that I am getting this kind of experience that I will be able to reference for so many years I am thrilled.10. Favorite drink? PBR. Yup, Pabst Blue Ribbon beer. I will be without if for 27 months and that makes me said. My favorite drink here is the Florina Brand Apple Juice. It is fantastic and 100% Juice, however it is one of the most expensive things I buy.
11. What is your favorite sport to watch? Running, specifically the mile. It is the most incredible event. Novels can, and have, been written based around 4 trips around the track. It is the perfect distance. Too bad it was not what I was best at. I think every runner has some sort of obsession with the mile. However I love to watch people race the mile.
11.b What is your favorite sport to play? You really are talking to a running nerd here. I love to watch and "play" running more than almost anything else in the world. Running is essential to me. If I don't I can go insane.
12. Have you ever dyed your hair? No, nor have I ever put any product in my hair outside of shampoo or conditioner. Only those. Nothing.

13. Pets? Right now? No, but I might get a new kitten from my neighbors. Before I had a lot of fish when I was young and I had a Black Lab dog that lived until 2-3 months before I left for the Peace Corps. Her name was Lucky.

14. Favorite food? Asparagus.
15. Last movie you watched at a theater? I made it a point to watch Sicko by Michael Moore before I left the country. That was a good film and one of his best yet. I have a love/hate thing going with Mr. Moore. I love that he is out there doing something about the way he feels but his approach sometimes angers me. But all that is too much to go into on a 43 question survey.
16. Favorite Day of the year? Normally the first Sunday in May because of a race in Spokane called Bloomsday where anywhere from 40-50,000 people run/walk 12KM down the streets of my hometown, Spokane, Washington. I have ran it 11 times, and helped with water stations on 3 other occasions. It is a big day for an obsessive runner.
17. What do you do to vent anger? Write in my journal or put on the self-titled debut album by Be Your Own Pet and crank it up on my headphones and dance away the anger until I want to take a nap.
18. What was your favorite toy as a child? Wrinkles, a stuffed dog that I could make talk by sticking my hand in the back of his head. It was pretty fun. In fact I still have it.
19.a What is your favorite season? Fall because it is/was cross-country season (Sorry you are going to hear more about running), and the weather seems to be perfect for me. I like the rain and moderate temperatures.
19.b What tourist attraction do you have in your town?
Not too much in my town so much as just outside of my town. We have a Thracian Tomb from the 2nd Century BC that is really cool. I have been there once but I would like to make it out again. OPEN INVITE: I will go with anybody that comes to town to see it. Also, I had 6 other PCVs recently visit to a Crypt/Mosque from the 16th Century that is in the forest just outside of my town.


21. Rasberry or Blueberry? Before I answer I would like to ask where question number 20 went? And Raspberries, definitely.
22. Bazaar or grocery story? Well, "grocery store" is a loose term here in my town of 8,500 people. Not really much of a store but I mostly go there because cooking for one it is hard to buy things only on one day, which would be Friday Bazaar day so I go a couple of times to stores and try to buy most of my fruit from the Bazaar, at least the weekends worth.
23. Dyado or baba? I love the Dyado fashion. I'd love to rock all the old Commie-styles so perfectly like them. No matter the weather, suits, nice long jackets, fashionable hats. I dig it. I say Dyado, despite that fact that Babas can cook and do give you free food!
24. Where do you get your news? Letsrun.com (running), BBC (International), Daily Press Briefings (about Bulgaria), economist.com (Business), random news blogs and b22blogstars.
25. Without checking, what are the times in seconds of the following? Coyote falls off the cliff after missing the roadrunner. You see him fall for __________ seconds, he disappears from view for __________ seconds, before you see a puff of smoke for ______ seconds.7, 5, 6... Sheer guesses, all of them.


26. Pitka or banitza? Banitza only if it's with Tikva. I love me some Tikven banitza! Especially my host mothers.
27. Would you rather perform in a dance recital or rap-battle? Is the dance recital a group thing? If so I chose that one, but my poem writing practice could help me do alright at a rap battle contest. This is a tough question. I would need more information. Like where is this rap battle? What kid of dancing? I am assuming the audience size would be about equal... That is a lot to consider, but if push came to shove... rap-battle, I think. Mostly because I cannot dance.
28. In what format do you consume your music? Well on my iTunes. I own over 1,000 CDs and I tried to put most of them onto my computer before I left. So I have 80 gigs in iTunes. Some times I go to pitchfork.com and check out the videos and samples they have randomly on their site.
29. You'd rather have your picture taken with which branch of government: judicial, legislative, or executive? Ask me in 9 months and I will most likely say Executive.
30. Would you rather fight vampires, werewolves, zombies, or apathy?
I heard a quote once that went something like this: "Apathy is the weapon by which the west is committing suicide." and Joan Baez had some good words to say about how horrible apathy has became in American society. I'd go with that.
31. Who inspires you? Barack Obama, my fellow B22s, some of the smartest people I have meet in my life, my grandmothers both two very strong women that are always making the most of what they have, Ian MacKaye and some of my really good long-time friends from Spokane. That is a short list.
32. What are you afraid of?
My mind.
33. Plain, cheese or veggie hamburgers?
Normally black bean burgers with no-cheese. My stomach isn't the best at dealing with dairy. I think I am partially lactose, but not enough that I have to avoid it completely.
34. Car, truck, motorcycle, or hot-air balloon?
Jules Verne had the right idea... give me a hot-air balloon and I'll go around the world in 80 days.
35. Would you shave your chest for any reason?
If I lost a bet yes, but here in Bulgaria I think it can add to the Maleness. So it helps that I have some hair on my chest but normally I would not ever shave my chest. I have no reason too, and judging by how quickly I grew back my beard when I shaved it you can tell that I hate shaving.
38. Favorite day of the week?
Friday, Bazaar day. All the villagers come to buy things for the week and the town nearly doubles in size. The town comes alive and people are everywhere, walking, hanging out, talking (mostly in Turkish so I have no idea what they are saying) and I spend my entire lunch break walking around people watching and saying hello to friends.
39. How many states have you lived in? How many countries?
Well I have only lived in Washington, but my residence with the Peace Corps is my sisters house in Portland, Oregon, so according to them I live there but I never really lived. Just visited. Countries, 2. America and Bulgaria. I hope to add more to those short lists sometime in the future.


40. Favorite Comedian? Henry Rollins. I don't know if he exactly qualifies but that is my pick.
41. Anything else you want to share? Projects you are working on? Yeah, I am working on writing a Project Proposal with the basketball coach from the school for kids aged 7-15. This would be a decent sized project as 800 kids go to the school and it would be for basketball equipment for the gym classes and for the 4 teams the school has.
42. What was the last work of art you experienced that brought you to tears?A movie. It was called Freedom Writers but if you ask me next week it will change. Normally a movie or a CD hits me pretty hard. I love visual art and painting but music normally does it for me. Oh and I'd like to thank everyone for reading my random and slightly crazed responses that somehow have very little to do with my Peace Corps life.
43. If possible, would you prefer to be remembered by a portrait in the National Gallery or on a thousand comemorative key-chains?Depends on the style of artist. Is it like Jackson Pollock? Because if so, I'd go with the key-chains. And what is the design on the key-chains. Do I look like Che? Or that picture of Einstein with his hair flipped up and his tongue sticking out? Sorry I ask too many questions. I'll go with the key-chain. As much as I love art I would not feel right about being in a National Gallery slot. I feel, if I am to be remembered at all, that a key-chain is more appropriate.

Posted byWil Dalton at 10:34 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment